Thursday, July 24, 2008

Leawood Elementary Blog Site

Hello Leawood Lions, I am starting a blog page to introduce this to our parents and community to show how exciting this can be. Our sixth grade students started using a secure blog site on wikispaces last year (cocacolaclassroom) as a means to continue valuable conversations related to school outside of the classroom. I feel strongly that parents and families should be able to experince what a blog space (also known as web log) is and allow our community to participate in the same current trends that our students do.

This Blog site is an opportunity to post information, have an opinion, comment on things of interest, and really it is a way to collaborate on various topics through the internet. So for our first blog topic, I would love to hear about a fun summer experince from this past vacation. Remember that everyone can read this, so please be respectful to all readers when blogging on this page. To read all the blogs, click on the title link. To add a blog click on post a comment and follow the directions. Good luck and have fun!

My summer vacation was a family trip to Yellowstone National Park. We loaded up 3 kids and tons of gear and headed out. Our 10 hour road trip lasted a good 14 hours. With a 3 month old baby, we had plenty of stops and breaks that truly extended our drive. Once we were there, it made it all worth it. Yellowstone is an enormous and beautiful place. We were fortunate enough to see bears, elk, bison, bald eagles, and of course tons of other people. We spent some time in the town of West Yellowstone. This little town has so much character. Huckleberry is a poplular item and you can find, syrup, jam, and taffy all made from Huckleberry. In addition, when you go out for ice cream, the serving sizes are so large that all 5 of us were full off of one cone. Yellowstone was a fun trip for us and I would recommend this place to anyone.

8 comments:

  1. Jake Schultz (Mrs. Schultz’s son) and I had fun this summer too! We painted the staff lounge at Leawood. Ms. Blair and Ms Viggiani picked the color. Mr. Vince moved the refrigerators and the staff mailboxes. The Pepsi men had to come to move the Pepsi machine (they actually WAITED while we painted behind the machine). Mrs. Thomas and her husband found a sofa and two chairs for a seating area and Ms. Viggiani and I hung framed student art. It looks WAAAy cool and ready for August 6th when the teachers officially return. Oh, by the way, Jake painted all the computer lab stools too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Haaf family had a very eventful summer. We hosted 12 students in our home this summer, eleven from Japan and one from Latvia. Dane finished a patio out back that allows a wonderful place to BBQ.

    Ian and Shaelee spent a few nights sleeping out back in our family tent, since it's too expensive to drive anywhere.

    Ian is very excited about entering 1st grade this year. Shaelee spent a week at Girl Scout camp up in the Red Feather wilderness.

    We hope everyone had a blistering, hot summer. Our yard looks like a missle test site in Arizona.

    The Olympics are coming! Look for the Colorado representitives, and have your kids do some research on them.

    Dane Haaf

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My summer was filled with lots of learning and fun!

    I started classes towards my master's degree, which has kept me very busy and my mind going a mile a minute!

    I spent lots of time with friends and family. I even made it out to Las Vegas for a few days. The trip was a lot of fun, but I don't recommend going in the middle of July, as it was blistering 115 degrees during the day, and a cool 95 at night! ICK! Needless to say, I spent most of my vacation at the pool! :)

    I'm very excited to get back to school and beginning a new adventure in 3rd grade. I can't wait to see all your smiling faces on the 12th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My entire summer has been spent being a new mommy to my beautiful daughter Eva Grace. My husband and I have had many sleepless nights, but it has all been worth it. We've gone on a few short road trips, but mostly have stayed close to home. Many friends and family members have come to visit the new addition to our family. I look forward to seeing everyone in October when I return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda Weeks had a wonderful summer with my family! We spent some time in Durango, Colorado visiting family. We celebrated the 4th of July in Tulsa, Oklahoma. My sons Waylon (3) and Bryce (18 month) and my husband had a great time on some camping trips to Fruita, Walden, and Peaceful Valley. We ended our summer with a fantastic family vacation to Corolla, North Carolina to spend a week at the beach with my entire family (19 people in a beach house)! Great fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i did not have a good sunner because a lot of family was in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete